Students Active for Ending Rape
Students Active for Ending Rape (SAFER) provides community organizing, training and ongoing support for college and university students working to improve their schools’ sexual assault prevention and response activities. By offering students leadership training, resources and education in how sexual violence intersects with race, class, culture and gender, SAFER empowers student activists to mobilize their communities and push school administrations to take action. Through these efforts, students across the country can begin to build a larger movement that will have widespread effects on the perception and response to sexual violence on a societal level. SAFER is looking for high energy, dependable, organized and team-oriented interns for for the fall semester. These internships are 14 weeks long, from early September through early December; however, exact start and end dates are flexible.
SAFER is an all-volunteer run organization. Students of color, LGBTQ students, low income students and students with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Passionate applicants only.
Video Production Internship
* Collaborate with Social Justice Writing Intern to develop storyboards and scripts for videos.
* Shoot footage for several purposes (i.e., students' stories, policy changes and tips to run successful campaigns).
* Film SAFER events and trainings.
* Edit existing footage and new footage and sounds into short videos to serve as training teasers.
* Meet an agreed-upon goal of the number of videos to be produced for the semester (for example, 5 complete 3-5 minute videos, to be determined).
* Improve upon SAFER’s YouTube channel.
* Collaborate with both Student Outreach Coordinators, other interns and volunteers and rest of Board of Directors as necessary
* Current or recently graduated student (within the past year).
* Part-time commitment of 10 hours per week.
* Detail-oriented, able to take instruction, take initiative and work with minimal supervision.
* Strong background or interest in social justice issues, particularly in its connection to anti-violence work.
* Strong research capabilities.
* Creativity and flexibility.
* Outgoing and friendly personality.
* Must have experience and knowledge of editing film and sound.
* Must have access to film editing software either at home or at school.
* Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office, and social networking sites including Facebook, YouTube and MySpace.
* Knowledge or willingness to learn basic HTML to upload finished content to website.
* Must be able to work some evenings, including one face-to-face weekly meeting with a Student Outreach Coordinator (date and time to be determined).
* Majority of work will be done remotely, reliable internet access a must.
This internship is unpaid but we do offer one need-based scholarship for $600 available for qualified students. If you're interested in the Founders' Scholarship, please note this in your cover letter and we will send you the scholarship application.
Please also let us know if you will be seeking school credit for this internship.
To apply please send a cover letter, telling us about yourself and why you're interested in joining SAFER, with a resume to:
Posted by: Jerin