Sakhi for South Asian Women
Social Worker - Domestic Violence Program Advocate
(Full-time position available)
About the Organization:
Sakhi for South Asian Women, a 501(c)(3) non-profit community-based organization, is an innovative anti-domestic violence agency begun in June 1989. Sakhi for South Asian Women exists to end violence against women. We unite survivors, communities, and institutions to eradicate domestic violence as we work together to create strong and healthy communities. Sakhi uses an integrated approach that combines support and empowerment through service delivery, community engagement, media advocacy, and policy initiatives. In 20 years, Sakhi has supported thousands of survivors of violence through non-residential services delivery, mobilized community change toward abuse, and enhanced institutions to better serve survivors and the South Asian community. Sakhi is recognized as a local, regional, and national leader in its field. Sakhi currently has six full-time staff members as well as a vibrant board and volunteer pool. For more information on Sakhi, please visit our website: www.sakhi.org.
The Domestic Violence Program Advocate is a central force within the Domestic Violence program, a core arena of Sakhi’s work. The Domestic Violence Program Advocate works closely with the entire Sakhi direct services team in order to ensure that Sakhi’s mission to end violence and achieve social change is fulfilled by addressing the critical immediate and long-term needs of individual survivors of violence. The Domestic Violence Program Advocate also contributes to Sakhi’s larger policy and organizational goals through support on language access advocacy and communicating Sakhi’s impact.
The Domestic Violence Program Advocate’s major areas of work include:
- Provide crisis response and safety planning for the organization’s helpline which responds to survivors of domestic violence;
- Conduct intakes and facilitate case coordination which may include information, referrals, and follow-up advocacy for mental health counseling, shelter, and legal matters;
- Accompany and provide advocacy for survivors of violence in courts, welfare offices, hospitals, police precincts, etc. as per need;
- Assist survivors by helping them to complete reports, gather information, etc.;
- Liaison with volunteers to provide support services as needed and participate in Sakhi’s annual volunteer training and orientations as needed;
- Assist with coordination and facilitation of monthly support group meetings; and,
- Offer responsive referrals to community members who call for other kinds of assistance.
Program Documentation and Development
- Ensure accurate and timely data collection for internal and external record-keeping;
- Manage Sakhi’s Legal Provider Network including recruitment, education, relationship-building, and follow-through;
- Assist with activities related to policy advocacy on court interpretation;
- Develop ongoing referral relationships within the health, legal, and social service systems;
- Present and train regarding Sakhi’s work as appropriate; and,
- Assist other staff with cross-organizational efforts.
- MSW preferred.
- Fluency in one or more South Asian languages, especially Bengali, Hindi, Punjabi, and/or Urdu;
- Experience in direct work with survivors of domestic violence and/or South Asian women. Knowledge of the legal, court, and/or police systems preferred; - Experience supervising and managing interns and volunteers at a social service or social justice non-profit agency;
- Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office and social service databases;
- Experience with community-based work and ability to engage with diverse communities and audiences;
- Strong administrative and organization skills;
- Ability to work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends;
- Ability to work well under pressure and juggle multiple time-sensitive tasks;
- An investment and background in women’s rights advocacy.
In the 30s. Benefits package included.
Oct/ Nov 2009 Interviews will be scheduled as resumes from candidates with appropriate qualifications are received.
Please send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references to email@example.com or to:
Search Committee: Domestic Violence Program Advocate
Sakhi for South Asian Women
P.O. Box 20208
Greeley Square Station
New York, NY 10001
No phone calls please!