Monday, October 26, 2009

All the cool kids are doing it

Yes, yes, another intro from a newbie YF blogger.

I'm Melissa, from upstate N.Y. I work full time in public relations while going part time for my grad degree in communication.

I was raised in a feminist, female-dominated family, so I never really had a "coming out" as a feminist. I just have always identified that way. It was in my middle school years that I actually became active, using the little money I had to donate to a local pro-choice organization. My mom was so proud. :)

Since then, I've be active in a variety of related organizations, volunteering my time, donating what little cash I had, joining marches, etc. Of special interest to me is de-stigmatizing the label "feminist:" I cringe when ladies I know say things like, "Well, I'm not a feminist or anything, but..." You wear pants, don't you? You're cool with not being chattel, right? Then you're probably a feminist.

Hopefully, I can contribute something worthwhile to this blog. If nothing else, you'll at least get sheer amusement.


xoxo.

Posted by: melissa

No comments: