Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Hello Young Feminist Community!

Posted by: Jackie A.

I would like to take a moment to introduce myself. I am Jackie, the newest member of the Young Feminist community. I am truly happy to be a part of this taskforce and couldn't be more excited!

I have been a feminist ever since I could remember. I pretty much figured it out when I was in elementary school and noticed how girls and boys were treated differently and no one was giving me a straight answer as to why. I was that annoying kid in class constantly challenging the teacher on sexist behavior and calling them out on it. Obviously, I still do this today to all kinds of people who aren't yet as enlightened as us. I can't help it, someone has to!

In college I was a Women's Studies minor at Auburn University in Alabama (yes, a feminist in the South!) and moved onto the Women's Sports Foundation in Long Island, NY where I served as a public relations intern for 6 months. I got to work with tennis legend and women's rights activist Billie Jean King among many other female ammeter and professional athletes, it was amazing!

I don't currently work in feminism but I would love to get back into it someday and this is a perfect place to start!

I look forward to reading all of your posts!
Until next time,
Jackie A. xoxo

No comments: