Students Active for Ending Rape
Students Active for Ending Rape (SAFER) provides community organizing, training and ongoing support for college and university students working to improve their schools’ sexual assault prevention and response activities. By offering students leadership training, resources and education in how sexual violence intersects with race, class, culture and gender, SAFER empowers student activists to mobilize their communities and push school administrations to take action. Through these efforts, students across the country can begin to build a larger movement that will have widespread effects on the perception and response to sexual violence on a societal level. SAFER is looking for high energy, dependable, organized and team-oriented interns for for the fall semester. These internships are 14 weeks long, from early September through early December; however, exact start and end dates are flexible.
SAFER is an all-volunteer run organization. Students of color, LGBTQ students, low income students and students with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Passionate applicants only.
Social Justice Writing Intern
* Develop written materials (Research, Draft and Edit) for the Info Shop, a free online pool of resources for activists, these can include but are not limited to:
* The intersections of oppressions and anti-violence work
* How to deal with internal conflict in movement building
* Defining consent, with best practices pulled from our Policies Database
* Identifying useful tactics and strategy in historical social movements and applying them to movements for sexual assault policy reform
* Develop (Research, Draft and Edit) for discreet campaign projects for anti-violence campus activists for the online Info Shop. These can include but are not limited to:
* Availability of Emergency Contraception campaign
* Reliability of Emergency Blue Lights campaign
* Advertisement/Communication of existing services for sexual assault survivors on campus campaign
* Create tutorial and script materials online short videos in collobration with the Video Production Intern
* Propose and create additional materials throughout the semester in collaboration with the Student Outreach Coordinators and rest of the board as necessary
* Current or recently graduated student (within the past year).
* Part-time commitment of 10 hours per week.
* Detail-oriented, able to take instruction, take initiative and work with minimal supervision.
* Strong research capabilities.
* Strong writing and editing skills.
* Strong background or interest in social justice issues, particularly in its connection to anti-violence work.
* Creativity and flexibility.
* Outgoing and friendly personality.
* Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office.
* Knowledge or willingness to learn basic html to upload finished content to website.
* Must be able to work some evenings, including one face-to-face weekly meeting with a Student Outreach Coordinator (date and time to be determined).
* Majority of work will be done remotely, reliable internet access a must.
This internship is unpaid but we do offer one need-based scholarship for $600 available for qualified students. If you're interested in the Founders' Scholarship, please note this in your cover letter and we will send you the scholarship application.
Please also let us know if you will be seeking school credit for this internship.
To apply please send a cover letter, telling us about yourself and why you're interested in joining SAFER, with a resume to:
Posted by: Jerin