|News from NOW-NYS|
For more information contact: Marcia Pappas, 518-452-3944
National Organization for Women NYS-PAC endorses Kathleen Rice for NYS Attorney General
ALBANY, NY (08/16/2010) NOW-NYS President Marcia Pappas reports that "the National Organization for Women-NYS PAC is proud to endorse Kathleen Rice (D) for NYS Attorney General. As Nassau County District Attorney, Rice displayed what feminists consider a stellar record in the fight for equality."
And the pride is mutual. Rice herself remarks: "I'm honored and humbled by the support NOW and its members have shown my campaign. I look forward to NOW playing an important role in our grassroots get-out-the-vote strategy over the next month. I am Long Island's first woman DA, and with NOW's help, I'm confident we will make similar history with this office at the state level. As Attorney General, I look forward to working with NOW to clean up Albany, to protect children and families, and to fight for our reproductive rights and for gender and pay equity in our communities."
In 2005 Ms. Rice's first bid for public office challenged a thirty-two year, anti-choice Republican incumbent. With Rice's victory, the pro-choice and women's rights community breathed a collective sigh of relief, knowing Rice would uphold the right to safe, legal abortion.
Under Kathleen Rice's leadership, the office of NYS Attorney General will expand its Civil Rights Bureau by adding:
1. deputy bureau chiefs for housing discrimination, employment discrimination, discrimination in schools, and LGBT issues
2. a statewide Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Compliance officer, overseeing and conducting analyses of NY government hiring practices
3. a coordinator of the Disability Rights Project-responsible for not only legal efforts, but also regular outreach to the disability community
4. a semi-annual auditing of state recognition of out-of-state and out-of-country gay marriages by a LGBT point person in OAG to ensure rights are protected
5. a review of state Stop and Frisk policies
6. an expanded Reproductive Rights Unit
Pappas concludes that "if elected, Kathleen Rice will be the first-ever female NYS Attorney General. and we are proud to be a part of that historical moment. NOW-NYS-PAC urges members and supporters to go to the polls on Primary Day, September 14th , 2010 to vote for Kathleen Rice ."
Help us elect feminists into public office. Donate to NOW-NYS PAC at