Sunday, August 26, 2012

July 2-9, 2012 | The Nation reports Islamophobia

Thanks to a feminist sister for bringing the following issue to my attention.  I hope you will join me in reading it.  

On a more positive note, I attended an Eid celebration yesterday with my secular husband at the main branch of the Queens Library.  There were quite a few non-Muslim and non-Bangldeshi audience members in the audience, all of whom seemed to appreciate the celebration of the end of Ramadan, along with the generosity and friendliness of the Bangladeshi Muslim people.  

Afterward, I attended a street fair in Jackson Heights that celebrated South and Southeast Asian cultures.  In keeping with the most diverse zip code in the country, there were people of all nationalities celebrating the festivities.  My favorite scene was watching the multicultural little kids dancing around the stage, completely uncaring of what people may think of their joy.  I wish the same for all my feminist sisters and brothers.

Subject: July 2-9, 2012 | The Nation

No comments: