Friday, May 2, 2014

My alma mater Hunter College named in US federal sex assault investigation

My alma mater Hunter College was named in a US federal sex assault investigation. This is so sad, especially since it was the Hunter College student govt, WGS department and the Women's Rights Coalition who were instrumental in helping me propose and help pass the CUNY-wide sexual-assault policy. After graduation, I tried to stay involved to help implement the policy, but didn't find students who were able or interested in continuing the anti-rape fight. SAFER, which helped me throughout the process to pass the CUNY policy, mentions how that is a huge problem with ending rape on college campuses. Active students will graduate and no one will take up the mantle. As an alumna, our reach is severely limited. As someone who works full time and is on two separate non-profit boards, my time is also limited. I really hope this wakes up current students and they will get involved.

No comments: