Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Easy and inexpensive Feminist Halloween costumes

If you are as sick of sexy-fill-in-the-blank costumes for women as me, you probably heard of Take Back Halloween.The website is a “costume guide for women with imagination.” I love their efforts. However, being a busy New Yorker who works to support my feminism habit, I want something easy and inexpensive. Some of my suggestions are below.

1.     Virginia Woolf: Last year, I used black eyeliner for wolf makeup and wore the cutout of the map of Virginia around my neck.
2.     bell hooks: Last year, my hubby wore bells around his neck with hooks and carried a copy of "Feminism is for everybody."
3.     Malala Yousafzai: Ok, this one and below are easy and inexpensive if you are like me or over 1 billion people in the world who own desi outfits. Just wear a salwar kameez with a chador and hold a book or one of Malala’s quotes. I like, “"I want every girl, every child, to be educated."
4.     Begum Roquia Sakhawat Hussain: Bangladeshi and Muslim feminist who was one of the first female writers of science fiction, who predicted solar power in 1905. Just wear a sari and carry a copy of Sultana's Dream.

Please add yours.

No comments: